Now that you’ve selected the most appropriate category for your Facebook page, filled out your info section and began adding content to your Facebook page and updated your settings to prevent comment spam hopefully all of that has translated into an increase in ‘likes’.
The last step in finalizing your Facebook Page is creating a username. This is key for a number of reasons:
- Prevent someone from squatting on your brand name
- Improve search engine optimization by including your ‘keywords’ in your URL
- A specific, short URL is much easier for your users to remember
- Helps establish an ‘identify’ for your brand
- Eases promotional efforts when publishing your Facebook Page URL
In short, you should definitely take advantage of the ability to assign a unique username for your Facebook page.
To get started, follow the steps below:
- Login to Facebook and go to your Facebook page.
- Click “Edit Info” and then select “Basic Information”.
- Click on the link: “Create a username for this page?”
- In some cases, it may require you to verify your account. Additionally, it requires you to have at least 25 fans on your Facebook page.
Tips on Selecting a Username
You’ll need to assign a username that should be the same as your official business name, domain name, or brand. With over 750 million users on Facebook, its quite possible the username you are hoping for will be taken. In such as a case use “dots” or “dashes” to isolate each word. For example, if you are the owner of Blue Widgets, then you can assign the username as “blue-widgets” or “blue.widgets”.
After configuring this, your official Facebook page URL should now be one of the following options:
Its looks professional, clean, and search engine friendly. Now you have officially completed all 5 steps required to set up your Facebook Page! Feel free to leave a link to your Facebook Page in the comments section!